Blogs > Get on track

The world of model railroading and other hobbies

Sunday, March 20, 2011

What a show


I feel so ... limited.
Going to Railfest 2011 has made me realize just how much I wish I had a money tree in the back yard.
But I don't. If anyone out there does have such a tree, I'd be happy to help you with the harvest.
Once again, the show did not disappoint.

While I find myself wishing there had been more vendors offering scenery supplies, I was not unhappy with what I did find.
More prevalent at this year's Railfest were reading material and railroad-related clothing items.
Not something that I am intensely interested in, but for those who enjoy reading about their favorite railroads or for those who want to display a railroad's logo on a shirt or sweatshirt, those items are always a good find.
As is always the case, several working layouts were on display for patrons to enjoy.
Taking a look at these layouts always gives me ideas. Some have worked out, others not so much.
While I didn't necessarily have anything in mind that I felt I needed to purchase, I still managed to drop a few bucks and come home with a couple buildings, some park benches and some figures that will soon have a home on my layout. OK, maybe not soon, but eventually,
One thing I have to say about the people I come into contact with at Railfest is that they are always friendly and willing to offer advice and knowledge.

Delving into the hobby of model railroading is kind of like joining a brotherhood - or sisterhood - of sorts.
For those of us who enjoy the hobby, there is a connection, a common bond.
Whether you enjoy the technical end of the hobby, modeling a prototype railroad, freelancing or just setting up the train on the dining room table on weekends, we all speak the same language.
At shows like these, you can ask a question, get an honest answer and walk out with a little more knowledge than you had when you walked in.
That kind of stuff is priceless. I have found that the best way to learn how to do something is to ask someone who has been doing it for a while and these shows are crawling with such individuals.
If you didn't get to Railfest 2011, and even if you did, it's time to start looking ahead to Railfest 2012.
Until then, I have some work to do.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home